A VST / AU / AAX Software Emulation Of A Modern Yet Legendary Tube Compressor / Limiter For Mixing & Mastering!
Pulsar Audio “Mu” is a stereo compressor operating in either Left/Right or Mid/Side modes, designed with mixing and mastering applications in mind, but also flexible enough for tracking.
It can be used for levelling, limiting, or just to add a bit of analog warmth with its emulated tube signal path.
What Is A Vari-Mu Compressor?
This is an audio compressor that employs a valve (tube) as the variable audio attenuator. Mu is an engineering term for gain, so this is a variable-gain compressor.
In essence, the side-chain signal continuously adjusts the bias or the valve to alter its gain appropriately. Vari-Mu compressors are fast and smooth, with low distortion.
What Is A Vari-Mu Compressor Used For?
The vari–mu compressor is commonly used on the mix bus, especially during mastering, but is also ideally suited to Drums, Guitars and Vocals.
67% off “Mu” by Pulsar Audio
An Industry-Standard Tube Compressor
Why It’s Unique
There are several reasons to use a variable-bias tube compressor. One is the exceptional compression transparency that this kind of compressor can achieve, even when pushed into extreme gain reduction. Another – and perhaps the most common – is their ability to add cohesion or “glue” to buses, whole mixes and masters.
Unfortunately, the original hardware is expensive and difficult to integrate with “in-the-box” workflows. Software emulations exist but most owners of the hardware agree that they cannot be compared to the original unit, as there’s always “something” missing.
With its unique Topology Preservation Technology, Pulsar Mu sounds objectively identical to the hardware in every production context, and even makes improvements such as an increased signal-to-noise ratio.
Improving On A Classic
Pulsar Mu is a stereo compressor operating in either Left/Right or Mid/Side modes, designed with mixing and mastering applications in mind, but also flexible enough for tracking. It can be used for levelling, limiting, or just to add a bit of analog warmth with its emulated tube signal path.
While reproducing the accurate SIFAM metering of the original unit, Pulsar Mu also provides a more modern visualization mode for fine-tuning compression settings, representing the waveform and gain reduction both over time and instantaneously.
Pulsar Mu also offers various options that apply to the sidechain signal. A popular mod of the original device was to add a high-pass filter, but Mu goes even further, offering a more complete equalization section, enabling to precisely adjust the compressor’s response to bass, midrange and treble using only four knobs.
Another addition is the possibility of advancing (look-ahead) or delaying (look-behind) the sidechain signal. This enables you to take ultimate control over transients, letting the compressor start to react before they happen, over even after they happen, opening up all kinds of creative uses.
How Does It Sound?
The most classic use of Mu is in mastering: it brings the discreet “polish” and “glue” to subtly warm up any mix. It can be used either transparently as a leveller (with long attack and release), as a compressor to add glue (slow attack with fast release), or as a limiter (fast attack and fast release). Using Mu in Mid/Side mode gives you another way to increase stereo image, or to curtail an overly wide mix.
Pulsar Mu can quickly create the “glue” needed for cohesive drum buss processing, while still respecting transients – even those of a kick drum. Depending on the chosen gain reduction and release time, it can restore the room ambience essential for certain styles of music – especially when used as a parallel compressor.
On an acoustic guitar, with a relatively low gain reduction setting, Pulsar Mu creates a nice organic groove, while respecting the transients of the instrument. This subtlety is useful for livening up a dull, stiff guitar track, giving it edge and personality.
Pulsar Mu sounds particularly good on vocals – especially with fairly high input and medium attack and release. It gives them the analog-style warmth to help them sit naturally, even in a dense mix.
67% off “Mu” by Pulsar Audio
So What Can I Do With “Mu”?
Valued for its transparency and ability to glue mix elements together without making them sound over-processed, “Mu” is extremely well suited to a wide variety of mixing and mastering applications, but works particularly well for:
- Final Mastering – bring a final polish to your mix with impressive transparency and a touch of warmth
- Drum Kits – add punch and dynamics to drive your tracks
- Acoustic Guitars – coax out additional textures from your guitar backing tracks
- Vocals – bring definition and presence in any vocal performance
“Mu” is the most faithful emulation of a modern yet legendary tube compressor/limiter – perfect glue for mixing and mastering!
Note: Please be aware you will be required to visit an external website in order to create an account, redeem and download your product. We do not host the download at VSTBuzz.
Note: This plugin requires you to create a free iLok account HERE, however you DO NOT need to own a physical key!
Normally €122 – get it at 67% off before it’s gone!
- 67% off the normal price (normally €122)!
- The most faithful emulation of a modern yet legendary tube compressor/limiter – perfect glue for mixing and mastering!
- Stereo Compressor operating in either Left/Right or Mid/Side modes
- Topology Preservation Technology – a perfect emulation of the original device’s behavior
- Modern Visualization Mode for fine-tuning compression settings
- External Sidechain – define an external sidechain input
- Mid-Side Processing – built-in optional M/S encoding and decoding
- Look Ahead/Look Behind – shift the timing of Pulsar Mu’s gain reduction compared to the input
- Flexible Sidechain Equalizer – reverting low frequencies from triggering compression with the High-Pass filter, keep the influence of the top-end under control with the positive or negative High-Shelf filter.
- Windows 7 with SP1 64 bit or above
- Plugin Formats – VST 2.4 / VST 3 / AAX Native 32/64-bit
- Mac OS 10.8 – 10.15 (has not been tested with Big Sur)
- Plugin Formats – VST 2.4 / VST 3 / AAX Native / Audio Unit 64-bit only
- CPU – Intel Core i3 / i5 / i7 / i9 / Xeon or AMD Quad-Core minimum
- Memory – 4GB RAM, 1GB free disk space
- GPU – OpengGL 2.0 compatible GPU
- Monitor – Resolution: minimum 1024×768, recommended 1920×1080, Refresh rate: 60 Hz
- Try the free 14 day trial for MAC or PC before buying!
- Note: Please be aware you will be required to visit an external website in order to create an account, redeem and download your product. We do not host the download at VSTBuzz.
- Note: This plugin requires you to create a free iLok account HERE, however you DO NOT need to own a physical key!
- Can be used for levelling, limiting, or just to add a bit of analog warmth with its emulated tube signal path!
What People Think About 67% off “Mu” by Pulsar Audio
"The Pulsar Mu by Pulsar Audio is considered by many engineers and producers as one the best variable compressors and is an excellent emulation of the classic Manley Mu compressor. Its functionality makes it perfect for a wide range of applications from vocals to drums."
Music Industry Blog
"I found, just as the designers claim, that Pulsar Mu sounds pleasantly transparent in Compression mode, with a very subtle hint of flattery. The option to make the side-chain look-behind is no gimmick, and turned out to be more useful than I thought — it was just the thing for tightening up some drum sounds I happened to be working on. The bottom line is that this is an easy-to-use, easy-on-the-ear compressor that can tackle many different scenarios in style."
Sound On Sound
Music Industry Blog