Prepare Yourself For The Ultimate Analog Matrix Modular Synthesizer
In the XILS 4, you can connect everything with everything, Oscillators, Filters, but also Ring Modulator and Spring Reverb. More than 1140 possible different connections per patch under your control and inspiration.
Not sure you’re ready for modular monsters? This synthesizer includes a new preset factory library with more than 350 presets that were especially designed for it, and also includes the XILS 3 factory library.
Note: The XILS 4 is a plug-in and is not available as a standalone application.
75% off “XILS 4” by XILS-lab
History: Why Two Synths For The XILS 4?
Tim Blake told XILS Lab about his old “Crystal Machine” combo: two linked AKS machines with hard synchronization between oscillators. One was connected to the keyboard, and the other connected to the sequencer.
Peter Zinovieff also told XILS Lab about a never released EMS prototype, the VCS 4: two linked VCS3! XILS Lab mixed both concepts, then added a lot of modules inherited from the XILS 3: and so the XILS 4 was born!
XILS 4 combines Two XILS 3 synthesizers that interact in many ways. To understand the genesis of the XILS 3, a recreation of the famous EMS Synthi synthesizer, we have to go back to… 1969.
1969: The PIN MATRIX REVOLUTION (No More Cables Anywhere)
In a modular synthesizer, you can connect any module to another one. Peter Zinovieff, the visionary synth Wizard, established, with the EMS series, a new way to connect modules: The Pin Matrix. Just plug a pin in the Matrix, and the connection is set.
Advantages of these techniques were obvious, breathtaking: More inputs and outputs for each module. No more cables cluttering the synth panel. Easy to operate, read and visualize. Easier to build your patch. No more roadies: The analog modular synthesizer suddenly became portable. Add to this the first Vector Synthesis experiments.
The XILS 3-4 series offers the same advantages, but additionally brings a lot more to the table.
Inside The XILS 4 Synthesiser
Let’s take a look at the different modules:
- Matrix Synthesizer
- Extended Modules
- Effect section
- Input Processor
The Pin Matrices
As we saw, modules have to be connected through patch areas called Pin Matrices. The XILS 4 offers no less than 8 Pin Matrices: 2* 256+256 points dedicated to the main audio synthesis, one for the trig connections, and 4 for the sequencer connections (one for the modulation and one for the trig connections).
Experts will spot at once that, in the 2 extended Matrices, you can freely define some sources and destinations in the last two rows of lines and columns, like S&H, or even Envelope Segments. And, yes, that means even more fun, and ultimate tweaking possibilities!
The core of the synthesis is based on the original audio modules:
- Hard synchronisation
- One low pass filter with 12, 18 and 24 db slope
- One spring reverb
- One Trapezoidal looping envelope
- One Polyphonic Ring Modulator
- One Noise generator
- Two output static filters
Oscillators: Beyond the digital limitation, as in all our synthesizers’ oscillators, we reproduce the analog behavior giving liveliness and liberty to these iconic sounds: The analog spirit has been preserved. XILS 4 oscillators were modeled to reproduce the original waveforms as closely as possible.
No synthesis can be done without a good filter: the XILS 4 multimode filter was modeled to reproduce the analog character of the original machine.
The Extended Modules (Augmented Matricity)
To increase the sound design possibilities, we have added 5 other modules intended to be connected via the Extended Matrix (2×225 new possible connections).
- Two additional envelopes (Trapezoidal or ADSR)
- One Tempo-syncable LFO
- One Tempo-syncable Sample and Hold
- One voltage processor (with a delay feature)
The Polyphonic Sequencer
The Sequencer has been inspired by the EMS 256 sequencer, a powerful 3 layer/2 track device, with some unique features, like 3 independent slew rate knobs.
Here again a few things were added, like Sequencer Lines acting as Modulation Sources in a special Matrix. Interactions that you cannot reproduce in even the most sophisticated DAW.
- 6 independent Sequencer lines.
- 3 Record modes ( Live, Step, Edit )
Note: The sequencer can modulate or trigger both cores independently.
The Pin Matrix and looping analog envelopes weren’t the only innovative features of the EMS series. Vector Synthesis should definitely be added to the list. The Joystick, with its numerous inputs and outputs, should be regarded as a giant step toward Vector Synthesis, and what is now known as Macro controllers.
With the XILS 4 Joystick duo (yes each engine has its own Joystick), you can not only make fascinating real time controlled evolving sequences or performances, but you can also find many interesting and varied patches nested in a single patch. Almost all XILS 4 factory library presets have been created to make use of the Joystick and other real time controllers.
The XILS 4 provides four warm and wide sounding audio effects.
- A Chorus (3 modes)
- A Delay (Tempo Syncable)
- A Phaser (with enhanced analog behavior)
- A Reverb
Each effect with independent input routing (For instance, you can process the Left core with a chorus and delay, the right core with the phase and the whole output with the reverb)
Using The XILS 4 As An Effect Processor
The XILS 4 can also be used as a terrific effect processor. The plug-in inputs can be used directly, feeding the filters, or as audio rate modulation sources… endless possibilities. To increase the fun a little bit, XILS Lab added 4 input audio processors, making XILS 4 a fantastic mangling machine!
- Transient Follower (which generates trigs or envelopes)
- Envelope Follower
- Featured Gate
- Pitch Tracker
For more in-depth information read the User Manual HERE.
75% off “XILS 4” by XILS-lab
So What Can I Do With “XILS 4”?
The XILS 4 is a synth plugin that combines the best of the classic EMS Synthi AKS and the EMS VCS 3 synths, as used by luminaries like Pink Floyd, Tangerine Dream and Jean-Michel Jarre, as well adding additional functionality. It is ideal for the following music genres:
- Progressive Rock
Note: Protected by iLok (PACE Antipiracy) with two independent locations per license (including the soft-location without any hardware device).
Note: Please be aware you will be required to visit an external website in order to create an account, redeem and download your product. We do not host the download at VSTBuzz.
Normally €199 – get it at 75% off before it’s gone!
- 75% off the normal price (normally €199)!
- 12 Aliasing-free Oscillators, grouped in 6 pairs, with Wave-shaping, Hard synchronization, + 2 additional Noise oscillators
- 2 Analog Multimode Filters, Non Linear and Zero Delay behaviors, with 3 Modes (12/18/24 dB)
- 4 Trapezoidal, looping, Envelope Generators (Switchable to standard ADSR)
- 1 Polyphonic LFO (including 2 Oscillators, each one with two outputs, acting as an LFO at audio rate)
- Polyphonic Ring Modulator and VCA engine
- Cascade Mode: Synthesizer 1 can feed Synthesizer 2 engine inputs
- 4 independent outputs feeding the Stereo Bus, each with one analog LP/HP filter
- 2 Programmable Joystick Vector Controllers (up to 32+32 modulation targets)
- Polyphonic Sequencer with 3 independent lines, Slew rates, 3 recording modes
- Sequencer can behave as a modulation source
- Pitch Tracker, Envelope Follower, Transient, Gate and Sample & Hold modules
- Chorus, Delay, Phaser and Spring Reverb
- 6 Play modes (including Unison 2/4/6), Polyphonic and Mono Portamento/Glissando/Legato, 2 different Keyboard Scalings, Polyphonic Aftertouch and VCA handling
- Nearly 700 presets made by world-famous Sound Designers
- Preset Database Engine (Find the right patch in a flash, create your own tags)
- Comprehensive manual with Getting Started and Tutorial sections
- More than 100 parameters map-able to midi controllers
- More than 1100 possible connexions per patch!!!
- Mac OSX 10.9 and later (64-bits only): VST2.4, VST3, Audio Unit, AAX (native)
- Windows 7,8,10,11 (32&64 bits): VST2, VST3, AAX (native)
- Note: Protected by iLok (PACE Antipiracy) with two independent locations per license (including the soft-location without any hardware device).
- Note: The XILS 4 is a plug-in and is not available as a standalone application.
- Note: Please be aware you will be required to visit an external website in order to create an account, redeem and download your product. We do not host the download at VSTBuzz.
- Go back to the golden years of artists such as Keith Emerson, Gary Numan, Herbie Hancock, Kraftwerk….