Sonatina Symphonic Orchestra (Sound Module)
Sonatina Symphonic Orchestra is a free orchestral sample library. While not as advanced or ambitious in scope as commercial offerings, SSO contains all the basic building blocks for creating real virtual orchestrations. It’s primarily aimed at beginners, but also more experienced composers looking for something lightweight and/or portable might find it useful.
Developer: Mattias Westlund & Big Cat Instruments
Instant Download (654MB)
Strings, brass, woodwinds, keys, choir & percussion!
Free Full Orchestral Sample Library
The Sonatina Symphonic Orchestra Module contains the full SSO by Mattias Westlund, nicely wrapped up into one simple VST plugin (32 & 64bit).
The SSO samples are stereo, 16 bit, 44kHz. Melodic instruments and chromatic percussion are sampled in minor 3rds. Staccato/pizzicato patches have 2x round-robin. All samples have varying amounts of stage ambience, depending on their front-to-back placement, but in addition to that a good hall reverb is a must.
SSO is a free library released under the Creative Commons Sampling Plus 1.0 license.
- Note: This library comes with it’s own sample player, no other software is required.
- Important: This library is provided as a VST only plugin. There is no support for AU/AAX plugins
Full Instrument List
- 16 violins (1st) sustain, staccato, pizzicato
- 12 violins (2nd) sustain, staccato, pizzicato
- 11 violas sustain*, pizzicato
- 10 celli sustain, staccato, pizzicato
- 8 basses sustain, staccato, pizzicato
- 1 concert harp pluck
- 1 solo violin & solo cello sustain
- 3 trumpets sustain, staccato
- 4 horns sustain, staccato
- 3 trombones sustain, staccato
- 1 tuba sustain, staccato
- 1 solo trumpet, solo horn, solo tenor trombone, solo bass trombone sustain
- 3 flutes sustain, staccato
- 3 clarinets sustain
- 3 oboes sustain
- 3 bassoons sustain
- 1 piccolo flute sustain*
- 1 solo flute, 1 solo alto flute, 1 solo clarinet, 1 solo bass clarinet, 1 solo oboe, 1 solo cor anglais, 1 solo bassoon, 1 solo contrabassoon sustain
Keys & Choir
- grand piano
- male chorus sustain
- female chorus sustain
- timpani left hand/right hand hits, rolls
- bass drum soft/hard hit
- snare drum left hand/right hand hits, roll
- cymbals 4 rolls, 1 hit
- conga muffled, open, slap
- bar chimes 3 variations
- tamtam 3 variations
- triangle mute, half-open, open, roll
- tambourine soft/hard hit, shake, roll
- wood blocks high, low
- cabasa 2 variations
- shaker 3 variations
- sleigh bells soft/hard hit
- castanets 2 variations
- bell tree