Dark Aleatoric Choral FX and Textures
Vox Arcanum is an aleatoric choral FX sample library for Kontakt, featuring 1.8GB of choral effects by a 32 person choir (8 Sopranos, 8 Altos, 8 Tenors, 8 Basses).
The material was recorded in Georgian Film Studio, a 300 square meter scoring stage, through an SSL console, Prism Sound Converters and Neumann U87, KM184, AKG 414 mics and contains:
- “Aah” Crescendos – low, mid and high cluster crescendos, glissando crescendos and standard crescendos
- “Sshh” Textures
- Staccato Rips– down and up
- Bends– Octaves down and octaves up
- Chaos Textures – non tonal aleatoric choral textures
- Claps & snaps– 32 person claps and snaps
The library is perfect for film/TV/game underscore (eg. horror, dark, gloomy) and the bonus claps and snaps are absolutely massive sounding, making it perfect also for rock and pop!
WAV & Kontakt Format with 5 Microphone Positions
The library 5 microphone positions to choose from – load all or just some of them to create a dryer / wetter sound as desired. The microphone positions on offer are:
- Close (3 rows of four microphones, one for each level of risers)
Along with a range of microphone positions, we’ve also included a selection of 21 beautiful IR reverbs to choose from (turn it on/off) with the option to choose the pre-delay, size and amount, so you can dial in the exact sound you’re looking for.
The library has a large waveform in the center of the GUI so you can see the overall shape of the samples before playing. Additionally, you can flip a switch to play any sample in reverse or at half speed, double speed (and anything in between) with no pitch changing. This allows you to create some really weird and unusual textures by adding a huge reverb and playing a sound backwards.
Vox Arcanum comes with standalone .WAV files if you’d rather just drop them into your project.
Technical Requirements and Specifications
- 11 articulations to choose from
- 2 additional bonus snaps and claps articulations
- 5 microphone positions on offer
- 214 different samples (1296 variations in total due to decca 1, 2, 3, mid, room and mix versions of each sample)
- 21 IR reverb samples with pre-delay, size and amount options
- 2.7GB of space required (900MB for download and 1.8GB for extracted product)
- 13 Kontakt patches in total
- Kontakt 5.7.1 or higher required – not compatible with the Kontakt Player
Why its awesome:
- A very dark, gloomy and ominous sound
- Recorded with a large 32 person choir
- Recorded in a huge 300 square meter scoring stage
- .WAV files included
- 214 samples (1296 in total due to mic variations of each sample)
- 5 microphone positions plus mix combined versions of each FX sample
- 21 beautiful reverb samples
- NB. Kontakt 5.7.1 or higher required – not compatible with the Kontakt Player
Dismas – :
I like how weird these voices sound. They add just the right kind of texture for my Horror shorts. I think you could creat a track using just these and nothing else but I’m gonna try mixing them with some of the Spitfire Labs strings.
Dennis – :
Nice collection of unusual and mysterious voices. Good sound quality. Nice instrument design. 13 Instruments each does a distinct group style. Each instrument does one thing.
francois – :
A nice collection of samples with a Kontakt interface (you could use them without Kontakt if needed) that could complete your choir collection if needed (check what you currently own before purchasing, you can find similar effects in many other choir libraries)
Andrew – :
The claps and clicks are real and high quality !! Even if you wanted just those sounds, it’s worth it. Choral is really great, love the little tool to play it in reverse also. Great for spooky or just complimenting that dark electronic. High quality, enjoy !!
Chris – :
A good amount of choral and fx textures here to keep your nerves tingling. Clicks and claps are also useful when these kinds of sounds are needed. Just messing around and layering these will have you coming up with tense and atmospheric sounds in no time.